Re: CURIEs: A proposal

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:44:16 +0200, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

>> 7   Each language must specify:
>
> It's already the case that we have a generic URI syntax specification,
> which includes one abbreviation mechanism (URI references), and
> every format/syntax can use URI references and/or other
> URI abbreviation mechanisms.
>
> It's not clear to me what CURIEs are, beyond that.

Let's try an elevator pitch:

	CURIEs are a way of abbreviating URIs. They are useful for authoring when
a number of similar URIs have to be repeatedly used. They also
significantly reduce the size of certain types of document. QNames have
been used for this purpose in several specifications, but apart from some
philosophical problems with their use, because of restrictions on their
syntax they also don't allow the abbreviation of arbitrary URIs, which
gets in the way of markup that needs to allow just that.

Steven