RE: Showing the Semantic Web

Elias Torres wrote:

> Misha Wolf wrote:
[...]
> > The News Industry (ie the News Agencies, represented by the
> > International Press Telecommunications Council) has decided to
> > develop a standard for B2B News exchange which is designed to be
> > compatible with the Semantic Web.  I know of no other industry
> > whose entire output will form part of the Semantic Web.  Do you?
> >
> Misha,
> It took me forever (not really, but more than I'd wish it had) to
> find a NewsML sample online.

See:
   http://www.iptc.org/NAR/1.0/
for specs, samples, transforms to RDF, etc.

> I tried submitting it to the W3C RDF Validator and checked the
> option (RDF not enclosed with RDF tags) but it failed to validate.

Indeed.  We considered and rejected the option of carrying NewsML 2
metadata as RDF/XML.  This is because the likelihood of all of the
developers who will be writing software to produce/consume NewsML 2
becoming sufficiently familiar with RDF/XML is approximately 0.

> Could you please specify in which way you mean is compatible with
> SW?
> (Of course besides the fact that it can be converted to RDF
> through an XSLT).

The following design decisions make NewsML compatible with the SW:

-  Values (other than dates, integers, etc) are, wherever possible,
   represented by URIs.  This applies, in particular, to all terms
   in taxonomies (representing subjects, genres, etc).

-  The semantic mapping from NewsML 2 syntax to RDF is provided in
   the NewsML 2 specs.

-  We shall provide XSLT transforms to suitable RDF formats.

Here's a quote from the NewsML 2 Model:

| As the NAR aims to be compatible with the Semantic Web of the W3C
| it is also compatible with their underlying technology, the
| Resource Description Framework (RDF). But the IPTC model and
| syntax implementation of metadata do not require any knowledge
| about RDF, any transformation from the IPTC metadata model to RDF
| will be done by means beyond the NAR. Transforms to RDF/XML will
| be achieved by using a mechanism like GRDDL [GRDDL], so that
| those who wish to convert the metadata to RDF triples can do so.

[Note: NAR stands for NewsML 2 Architecture]

In taking this approach, we are in reputable company.  The RDF-in-
XHTML task force has been our inspiration, though having somewhat
different constraints, we have selected a different syntax.

Misha

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.