Re: Reifying triples as unique URIs

Max Völkel ha scritto:
> Now  the challenge is, you should try to re-use the same "x", as often
> as semantically possible.
> When the same "knowing" from a to c is occurring, use the same x.
> If a knows c in two different ways, use two different URIs.
>
> e.g.
> (a,x,c)
> (x, rdfs:subPropertyOf, foaf:knows)
> (a,y,c)
> (y, rdfs:subPropertyOf, foaf:knows)
>
> an then we can add
> x hasHappendenIn :Kindergarten
> and they got sepratated and years later they met again
> y hasHappendedIn :HighSchool
> - you get the example I hope.
>
> What  do  you think about the idea to reify triples as unique property
> URIs? Has this been discussed elsewhere?

I saw a similar idea some time ago in a post...may be it was not the
very same...anyway..
I don't like the approach and I think it is in some way conceptually
incorrect.
If you specilize  a property (e.g. reads_at_my_desk
rdfs:subPropertyOf     reads) and then make some statement about it
(e.g. reads_at_my_desk   ex:happens_in   ex:my_office) than you are
reifing the act of reading something sitting at my desk but  not the
statement in which teh property is used...
if I say

ex:christian       ex:reads_at_my_desk         ex:paper_1
ex:john             ex:reads_at_my_desk         ex:paper_2

what do I have to do to actually talk about the fact that chritian was
reading paper_1? for example if I want to specify the moment in which an
action has been done I can't say:  ex:reads_at_my_desk   ex:when
ex:august2006....
well you could invent a new property that is
"ex:reads_at_my_desk_in_august2006" and then make a new statement
(christian   ex:reads_at_my_desk_in_august2006   ex:paper_1), but irt
seems to me not so convenient :-)

So I think the approach might be useful in some cases (e.g. you can
reuse the 'reads_at_my_desk' property each time you want to say that
someone is reading something while sitting at the desk), but it does not
solve the problem...you still need reification or something similar.

Cheers

Christian