Re: In defence of 404 ...

From: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:53:23 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org

> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:59 +0200, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>
>> Dan
>>
>>> Ah... I misread your point. Indeed, in the general case,
>>> lots of documents may discuss the same resource, and none
>>> of them is authoritative. If DOC1#T1 and DOC2#T1 both
>>> refer to France, there is no web architecture mechanism
>>> for determining which is authoritative.
>>>

>> OK. But I don't want to have DOC1#T1 *and* DOC2#T1 as two distinct URIs
>> defining France. I want one URI to define France.
>>

> Do you have any serious expectation that you will get it? i.e.
> that you can somehow stop other parties from coining URIs that
> refer to France?

Of course not! But that's a completely orthogonal issue (not that I'm
not interested in that issue, too). We're speaking here about a unique
publisher (INSEE) who wants to support semantic interoperability through
forging a unique, authoritative URI for France, for every possible use
under their authoritative namespace, for any purpose, in any publication.

Bernard