Re: [ontac-forum] Re: Semantic Layers (Was Interpretation of RDF reification)

On 4/6/06, Paul S Prueitt <psp@virtualtaos.net> wrote:

> The BCNGroup Roadmap was developed in late 2004 and early 2005 for US
> Customs.  The Roadmap was considered to be beyond the horizon of government
> IT contractors.  However, this Roadmap part of a series of proposals and
> discussions about the need to center ontology definition within the control
> of user community.

I assume the Roadmap is the document at [1], which as far as I can
tell is primarily a bid for funding ($765,312.50). On a cursory skim,
my first impression of many of the claims is skepticism, although I
did find the doc very confusing so maybe I'm missing the vision.

> In Summary:  In spite of recognized value for W3C standards, there are both
> a type of false claim based marketing of what we call the first school and a
> powerful inhibition of what we call the second school.

I must confess I find this kind of polemic unpromising.

I think any accusation of false claim marketing is troublesome, so
personally wouldn't wish to suggest anything of the sort. But my
skepticism would be greatly reduced if you could confirm that the
project has the full backing of the individuals and companies listed
in the Roadmap document:

SchemaLogic Inc
Acappella Software
Recommind Inc
Applied Technical Systems Inc
Intellisophic Inc
Text Analysis International Corporation Inc
MITi Inc
The Center for Digital Forensic Studies
OntologyStream Inc
Intellidimension Inc