Re: Inheritance and RIF

Hans Teijgeler wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for your response!
>
> You wrote:
>
> <PFPS>
> Well, RIF shouldn't have any mechanism for inheritance.   After all, RIF is
> not about classes and instances, but is instead about rules.
> </PFPS>
>
> I hope that those rules are about anything we know of, i.e. about classes,
> individuals, and properties. What else can a rule be about?
>
> I still am in need for an answer to my question: does anyone know how to
> represent a value with a tolerance in RDF/OWL? So something like: diameter =
> 150 mm +0.03%  -0.25%.

http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/ discusses a use case for
describing "Christine has breast tumor with high probability".  The same
approach (basically, n-ary relations) could be used to describe values
with upper and lower tolerances as well.  This may not be the way
manufacturing folks would do it, but it's certainly possible.  NIST does
a lot with manufacturing (and Evan Wallace is on the SW Best Practices
group);  perhaps someone from there could comment on this.

--Frank