Re: How to express a photography with FRBR on Flickr

Hi Richard,

thanks for the start of answers.

Le 05-09-06 à 14:50, Richard Newman a écrit :

>   First off, yes I'm still writing that essay :) I might put an in-
> progress version up if you want to see some text.

yes please :)

> Those properties look exactly like my photo schema, which is good
> news for me (even down to "square"!).
> <http://www.holygoat.co.uk/owl/2005/05/photo/>

:))))

> The schema is actually discussed in detail in my essay, so if you
> want to know more I'll send you a copy.

Yes please. :)

>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/36680383/>
>>   a frbr:Work;
>>   frbr:Person <#karl_dubost>;
>>   dc:title "The gardener slipped through the cracks"@en ;
>>   dc:date "2005-07-31";
>>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/montreal/> ;
>>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/quebec/> ;
>>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/canada/> ;
>>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/chair/> ;
>>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/sidewalk/> ;
>>   frbr:realization <http://static.flickr.com/
>> 22/36680383_072987e88e_o_d.jpg> .
>>

> It's questionable at which level the "Photograph" -- "Image file"
> distinction is made.
>
> I would tend to think that there's a blurring between the Work and
> Expression for <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/36680383/>, then
> each resource which always gets sent as the same sequence of bytes
> is a manifestation, of which there are multiple items. (Or
> something like that, anyway.)

Maybe to avoid the problem I could have given an random identification

<#photo_36680383>
   a frbr:Work;
   frbr:Expression <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/36680383/> ;
   dc:title "The gardener slipped through the cracks"@en ;
   dc:date "2005-07-31";
   frbr:realization <http://static.flickr.com/
22/36680383_072987e88e_o_d.jpg> .

Would it be more satisfactory? As in a work is something where a Web
page + one version of the images is one possible expression of it.

> My existing schema is only two-level for this reason, but it needs
> a lot of thought.
> Bruce D'Arcus has some interesting input about photography, and how
> different developments and prints are likely to produce new
> expressions, manifestations, and items. It's complex, which has
> slowed me down :)

Yes it's complex.

>> QUESTIONS:
>>     I haven't figured out to express the following things. Any help?
>>
>> The photo belongs to this set
>>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/sets/659154/
>>

> FRBR parts. The set is a work, the page showing the set is lower
> down the hierarchy, as is the document itself. The components tie
> in at each level -- the conceptual set has the conceptual images as
> its parts, while the page set has the manifestations as its parts.
>
> This ought to be cast down.

So how would you express in RDF/n3 a set of Expressions?

something like this here:

<#photo_36680383>
   a frbr:Work;
   frbr:partOf <#sets_659154> .

<#sets_659154>
   a frbr:Work;
   dc:title "Take a seat, Please…";
   frbr:Expression <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/sets/659154/>;
   frbr:part <#photo_36680383>;
   frbr:part <#photo_39993659>;
   frbr:part <#photo_35644399>;
   […here other images from the set…]  .

>> The Square Thumbnail is at
>>     http://static.flickr.com/22/36680383_072987e88e_s_d.jpg
>>

> I came up with a thumbnail property. A thumbnail is a derived
> 'thing' forked from the main FRBR tree.

It's also a realization no?

     frbr:realization <http://static.flickr.com/
22/36680383_072987e88e_s_d.jpg>;

>> The license is
>>     http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/
>>

> Isn't the CC stuff described the RDF anyway? Seems like one could
> just hang the appropriate triple off of whichever level at which
> you wish to apply the license.

     ooops yes. Something ala.

     cc:License <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/>;

W3C Conformance Manager