Re: why are properties decoupled from classes

What the cardinality constraint says is this:

If x is a Person, then they have precisely one mother, whether we
know who that mother is or not.
If x is described as having two mothers, y and z, then y == z.

So, you don't need to explicitly state that x has a mother, but x
nevertheless does indeed have a mother.

(Think of it this way: having a mother is a necessary condition for
Personhood. Asserting that something is a Person implies that they
meet all of the necessary constraints.)

-R