Re: why are properties decoupled from classes

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:04 +0100, Chris Purcell wrote:
> > Maybe you only care about persons which have interests. However, it
> > might turn out later that organizations may also have interests. If we
> > stick with the domain restriction (1), then every organization which
> > has
> > an interest is actually inferred to be a Person.
>
> Fortunately, we can simply construct a new property depicting this new
> meaning of interest, and declare the old one as a subproperty. That
> way, we limit semantic confusion, no?

Yes, there are always ways around the problem. However, it is very hard
to find such a problem, especially if the ontology gets big or you're
reusing someone else's ontology (and that is what the Semantic Web is
all about; reuse).
Another problem with your approach is that we have to construct a new
property for every class which uses the property.

Jos

--
Jos de Bruijn, http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c703239/
+43 512 507 6475         jos.debruijn@deri.org

DERI                      http://www.deri.org/
There are people who think that everything one does with a serious
face is sensible.
  - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg