RE: Question from the RDF-in-XHTML task force on the HTML Role Attribute

Hi Mark,

[...]
> To summarise, the positions I can see on this issue so far, are:
>
> Either:
>
>    * if something plays the role of something then it
>      *is* an instance of that thing;
>
> Or:
>
>    * just because something has a purpose of X, doesn't mean it
>      that it is an example of X.

Seems like in one case you're making a statement about a portion of the
document (<div role="xf:hint">), but in the other you're making a statement
about something that the portion of the document somehow represents or
refers to (<div role="foaf:Person">). Is there a way to distinguish between
those cases? If not, maybe role can't serve two roles and you'd be better
off with some other shorthand to deal with the latter case.

Best,

Geoff