Re: Why little usage of ObjectProperty

From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@volcano.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:36:09 -0700
To: "Gong Cheng" <gcheng@seu.edu.cn>, "Semantic Web W3C" <semantic-web@w3c.org>
Cc: "Semantic Web Yahoo" <semanticweb@yahoogroups.com>

In the broader context of knowledge representation,
properties can be classified as follows

definition - genus/differentia or union/intersection (Restrictions)
part - components of a single entity
attribute - static properties of a single entity
relation - property relating two or more entities
action - dynamic properties of a single entity
interaction - dynamic properties of two or more entities
hierarchy - subClassOf, subPropertyOf

Since OWL does not "know" most of these subclasses,
you may well ask "why bother" to distinguish
ObjectProperty from Property?
I think it all depends on the context of your
application.  Just ask yourself whether the distinctions
listed above are important in your application.

Dick McCullough
knowledge haspart proposition list;
http://rhm.cdepot.net/