Re: New Intro to RDF

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:11:33 -0400
To: Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@for.net>
Cc: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, martin.hepp@deri.org, tim.glover@bt.com, semantic-web@w3.org

> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> > (tag: and urn: URIs fail to impress me as being useful until there is an
> > HTTP service that can resolve them
>
> The whole point of tag: and urn: is to have a system of creating
> identifiers for things that have no representation on the web.

Not at all.  There are several ways to use http URIs as identifiers
for things which have no representation, and they're very useful.
They let you "follow your nose" and easily find information about
something just by knowing its identifier.

The point of tag: URIs is to allow you to identify things when you
don't want to allow people to "follow their nose", because you are not
willing to maintain a web presence.

       -- sandro