Re: URIs in RDF (Was: New Intro to RDF)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:38:08 +0200
To: "Jacek Kopecky" <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>, tim.glover@bt.com
Cc: tauberer@for.net, semantic-web@w3.org

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:20:52 +0200, Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
wrote:

> So I cannot choose to use http://w3.org/ to mean my car, and I don't
> think anything on the web gives anybody the opposite idea.

Nonsense. Of course you can. There is a social convention that you don't,
and nothing more.

I recently heard someone suggest that having 2 namespaces made RDF too
difficult (there are things that make it hard, but I can't see that as
one). I pointed out that at the risk of causing major unhappiness, he
could simply describe new terms in the original RDF namespace.

There is no reason it wouldn't work, the first time. But my answer is that
making a system work requires a bit of cooperation, and a bit of learning,
in general.

So there is absolutely no assurance that someone won't try to overload
your URI to mean something completely different. But there is a social
convention that people don't do it, which is generally respected.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      chaals@opera.com