Re: tag URIs (was Re: New Intro to RDF)

Aaron,

I believe the distinction between URL and URN has been obsoleted by
reality - one can easily use an HTTP URI for a name and never put
anything on that HTTP address, or one can use URNs that are short-lived,
defying the purpose.

The added benefit of being able to resolve the identifier makes HTTP
URIs the preferred identifiers. Recent publications from the TAG (sorry
I have no link handy at the moment) talk about information resources, a
subclass or resources which are representable as documents (bits and
bytes) - these resources should be addressed by what you call URLs.
Other resources should not have direct representations, but if you use
an HTTP URI to identify them, you can redirect any browsers to an
appropriate documentation URI - http://jacek.cz/apartment1/bed1 could
redirect to http://jacek.cz/apartment1/description#bed1 where bed 1 is
described.

So generally again, URNs should be URLs so that a user can do a form of
discovery by dereferencing the URN, and URLs should be stable (URNs) so
that user confusion (bookmarks not working, unexpected results etc.) is
avoided. I prefer only to use the acronym URI for all the identifiers,
and not to distinguish overly between locators and names.

Best regards,

Jacek Kopecky