W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > semantic-web@w3.org > October 2005

Re: Semantic Web gTLDs

From: Dr. Francis MUGUET <muguet@ensta.fr>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:37:04 +0200
Message-ID: <4346EA80.2000203@ensta.fr>
To: rich@boakes.org
CC: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web@w3c.org>

Dear Rich

> There is no such thing as clean unspoiled metadata.

Here we are !  a case of semantic misunderstanding !

I meant spoilt, junk, corrupted Metadata, not
unbiased metadata,
in fact raw text is also biased...

We plan to use automatic junk busters to detect
sites where data are so corrupted that they
jeopadize the whole system as it is the
case now in the World Wild Web.

search engines are pretty good harvesting
biased text files, and their expertises would be
quite interesting for SWgTLDs.

> 
> Anyone who writes metadata, anyone who annotates
> content, and in fact, anyone who creates the
> content in the first place, has a reason for
> doing so: *everyone* is biased.
agreed !
> 
> The important thing with metadata is it's
> provenance: 
Your point gives support to my proposal.
With a domain name, we can know, the provenance
ie the owner of the domain,
  to a better extent than with a certification authority.
If the owner appears to be a dummy or a non-existent
person, we kick the domain off the registry.
Again, we are not a commercial venture, we are
not looking for customers, building trust is more
important.
Then being a site with a SWgTLD is going to be
the mark of an overall provenance.

However, provenance is only one ingredient, search
engines experience would be quite interesting to use
within a SWgTLD.

if you know the origin of a piece of
> information, you can decide how much you wish it
> to affect the representation of the web that you
> see.
A domain name would a step forwards in that direction.

> 
> All that spoiled, biased, metadata is what makes
> the semantic web different from the web.  Where
> once there were links, now there are machine
> interpretable opinion.
and junk.
The problem is that junk is even worse for machines,
when they do not know what it is junk...
( ontology of the junk... )

Best regards

Francis




-- 

------------------------------------------------------
Francis F. MUGUET KNIS/ENSTA

Pôle de Développement pour l'Information Scientifique
"Réseaux de la Connaissance et Société de l'Information"
Scientific Information Development Laboratory
"Knowledge Networks & Information Society" (KNIS)

ENSTA
32 Blvd Victor 75739 PARIS cedex FRANCE
Phone: (33)1 45 52 60 19  Fax: (33)1 45 52 52 82
muguet@ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet
mirror            http://www.muguet.org

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
Associate Publisher
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet@mdpi.org       muguet@mdpi.net

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web

UNMSP project : http://www.unmsp.org
WTIS initiative: http://www.wtis.org
------------------------------------------------------
Received on Friday, 7 October 2005 21:27:20 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:47:06 UTC