Re: Why Literals should be unique and why this is a serious issue

Fine, you are pointing the SemanticWeb Stack, OWL over RDF, which is
actually very comparable to TCP over IP (for instance IP does not
garanty delivery, while TCP does)

So IP is very flexible, just like RDF right ? So you say to use OWL if
it suites you to cover the flexibilty of RDF. Im fine with that, and I
absolutely agree that we need flexibility in the down layers and so in RDF.

But there is a dramatic error. In the SemanticWeb, what counts is the
Knowledge you define (in an Ontology). On top of your Knowledge Base you
are free to choose a specific inferencing so you can produce more
knowledge - in example transitifity of subClassOf produces additional
triples to cover all over-under classrelations. But (and here is the
error) you are NOT able to extract additional information / knowledge
out of an Ontology, if the ontology is not suitable.

Try to get additional subClassOf Information out of an Ontology, which
does not contain any Class (and subClassOf) definitions. Try to to
identify Resoures on Values in an Ontology, which does not specifiy
InverseFunctionalProperties. The required results you will get will be
*0*, simlpy because the Information is not there (and therefore no
inferencingrules can be applied). You are not able to cover the
simplicity of an RDF Ontology using OWL Inferencing.

I know that (in your reply) you said: " in which case RDF is not for
you, but OWL might be something more akin to what you want". This is
very correct. But what are you going to do, with ontologies which are
already described using "super simple" and "super flexible" pure RDF ?
How are you going to cooperate RDF Ontologies with Ontologies, which are
well defined using lets say OWL Full (incl. InverFunctProperties).

Before hearing people telling: Of course you can cooperate in some way -
*Yes*. Dont forget that we are basicly talking about
resource-dublication (see first email-post).

We feel very comfortable "now" (and me as well), but currently
everythink is still very simple. Will you keep the overview if thausands
of Ontologies (multi) interconnect to each ??
Will you tell people who described their resources using RDF: "Hey you
guys, you must use OWL now, we not more precision now !" ?

Without wanting to disrespect any of you guys, I think that
*same-concept dublication* is is not taken serious enough and IMHO this
can become very tricky in the long-term.

If you mean that the SemanticWeb Stack is not supposted, for this kind
of circumstances -  I think you might be correct!!! The question is, if
this is a good solution.
We will be forced to cover such circumstances in an higher level of
abstraction...someday. If you seek for appropriate contributions on this
field (such as research-papers) Im prommising you that this is not fun,
since automious merging of equiavalent knowledge is a very difficult
topic. The problems which could arise in this field, might even not be
solvable.

So is there a chance to prevent dublication-hell earlier ? Do you think
I´m a panic-maker ? Maybe you are, but I still have not heard
constructive suggestions on how to solve this problems. I´m still
looking forward to it.

Do I think there is a solution ? In my IMHO yes, but this might also
include a refactoring of the SemanticWeb Stack and its definition. (you
can also see previous posts on this topics for some suggestions)

best regards,
Andreas