Re: Why Literals should be unique and why this is a serious issue

hi Hans,

thanks lot for your reply. With "lazy" I mean the people who create and
use ontologies, which are supposted to drive the SemanticWeb.

As a first impression, I think your contribution covers a lot of the URI
problem. I agree that additional overhead (in termns of literals as
instances of classes) will be nassesary. I also like the idea of a
system related Resource DNAīs, since we must differentiate resources,
which are resused by another Ontology (and since we must provide in
general a simple way to reference resources to each other).

Have you written a paper on this ? I mean, do you have any kind of more
detailed information.

Somethink, I canīt find in your contribution, is how you finaly prevent
dublication ? See the RDF example in my first email . I mean you assign
a DNA to every resource, but what prevents this resources having exacly
the same set of literal values ( / in your idea literal instances). Well
you can use InverseFuncProperties -> "sure". BUT donīt forget that the
InverseFuncProperty is only an additional and voluntary feature on top
of OWL Full. It is save to say that we will face significant accaptance
problems, if we dont force (sounds hard but is not) a value-Aware
Identification of resources.

Think a little bit about Objects in an OOP Language like Java, this
meight sound odd, but give me a chance. Think in Java of a Person Bean,
containing a set of appropriate attributes, like name, email etc..
If you create in Java two Objects, each will get a place in memory which
is unique (like your DNAīs id, but ignore distributed sources for now).
What happens if you like to compare the two person objects ? Nothink
really helpful if you dont overwrite equals() to compare on *top of
specific identifing values*. But this is voluntary, you dont have to
overwrite equals!

Currently in the SemanticWeb we have exacly the same situation, it is
voluntary to specify properties as InverseFunc, so that instances can be
identified uniqly *on top of values they describes*. And dont forget as
in OOP you can just compare individuals of the same type (class).

Do you think teh current situation is good ? Do you think it is
flexible, whether to use InverseFuncProperties or not? Yes, maybe in the
short term. But how in the longterm ?

Maybe we could combine both ideas ? So we would have useful
Resource-IDīs as Hash described in his  contribution and in addition we
could identify a resource both on its ID *and* its values.

How do you guys in here rate this approach.
Personaly, I will think about it in more detail and write you soon back.

best regards,
Andreas