Piggy Bank and road trips

From: Ryan Lee <ryanlee@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 12:26:08 -0400
To: semantic-web@w3.org

Hi all,

I've been playing a bit with Piggy Bank [1] since it could technically
qualify as my day job (more bluntly: I'm part of the SIMILE team).  The
mapping feature inspired me to do some road trip planning, and I thought
the process might be fun to share with the wider semantic web community.

I took my OS X Address Book data and made it into FOAF, querying Google
Maps for geo coordinates.  I then used Piggy Bank's harvesting
architecture to scrape Motel 6's site for their locations around the
country, or enough of them for me to have a good idea of where I could
stay each night in states in which I don't seem to know anybody.  A
little bit more on the experience, and the resulting map:

   http://ryanlee.org/journal/one?journal_id=3861

Now, if only I had a car...

1. http://simile.mit.edu/piggy-bank/

--
Ryan Lee                 ryanlee@w3.org
W3C Research Engineer    +1.617.253.5327