Re: SPARQL queries: resource identifier/rdf:about

From: conor dowling <conor@the325project.org>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 10:25:00 -0700
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
To: Jeen Broekstra <jeen@aduna.biz>

first off, thx very much for the info Jeen. One last question on
"rdf:about" or rather the value of "?subject" ...

>> 2) rdf:about value and value of "?subject"
>> # can I get the "rdf:about" from every resource
>> PREFIX rdf:    <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>
>> SELECT ?subject
>> WHERE { ?subject rdf:about ?about }
>
> No.
>
> rdf:about is not an actual property, but is simply a bit of syntax in
> the RDF/XML serialization that is used to denote the subject of a
> triple. It does not occur in the RDF graph and can not be queried
> through SPARQL (or any other RDF query language that I know of).

but is the value returned in ?subject is equivalent to rdf:about in
RDF/XML?

SELECT ?subject

Let's say I assign it to a variable "subjectIdentifier". Then can I say

SELECT ?name
WHERE {subjectIdentifier dc:title ?name}

(assuming of course that dc:title is supported by that subject ...). In
other words, can I use the subject id's across queries to that data
source? Is the subject id data source dependent,  nothing more than a
convenient resource identifier for use within that data source?