Meetup Re: helping physical semweb communities?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 22:03:01 +0200
To: "Indra Chandon" <indra@semantia.com.au>, semantic-web@w3.org

On Mon, 02 May 2005 10:26:54 +0200, Indra Chandon <indra@semantia.com.au>
wrote:

> In follow up to Eric Miller's message about local SemWeb communities.
>
> Hi, my name is Indra and I was the Melbourne, Australia Semantic Web
> Meetup organiser, until meetup.com introduced a monthly fee of USD$9.00
> for hosting our community.

I was happy to pay the $9 / month if that was going to provide a proper
service. It turns out taht this is to be paid by cheque posted to the US,
which for foreigners more or less doubles the cost, and introduces a heap
of stuffing around at the bank or post office. I was not happy to do that.
If someone sets up a decent community setup, that caters for semantic web
groups and allows us some playspace to post some RDF, I'd be prepared to
sponsor a couple of groups at something like USD $10/month, and a couple
more if it were more like USD $5. This isn't going to pay the bills on its
own, but it won't hurt either, and if there are a couple of dozen
communities interested it looks like a useful investment of effort...

So any RDF hackers out there wanting to make their testbed services pay
for themselves, here's your chance. Note that I am after functionality -
looking pretty isn't inherently important, but having nice interfaces for
doing cool stuff, and being able to get my data back, is. (Think
FOAF-a-matic, with some geo systems...)

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org