Re: Tag ontology RFC

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:01:17 +0000, Richard Newman
<r.newman@reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> [x a rss:Item] && [x from <http://del.icio.us/>] => [x a tags:Tag] .

Hmm, I wonder if that's OWLable (I need to remind myself of what's available).

> i.e. you exploit some additional knowledge about the sources you want
> to integrate (in this case that you know that del.icio.us's feed
> contains tags) to generate the integrating triples.

Yep, that makes a lot of sense. It would be nice to have that
integrated without stepping outside RDF/OWL (I really must read docs
;-)

> I really have to get some code done for this... perhaps a little Easter
> project for myself. Everyone seems to be releasing del.icio.us-alikes
> recently (I'm thinking of del.irio.us)!

Heh, I've been working very hard to resist doing it with the code I'm
currently working on, not a priority just now. But I've love to see
how some experimentation with tags and RDF turns out. Happy Easter!

Regarding del.irio.us, I just signed up to the del.icio.us list [1]
and the first post that came through is below [2]. I reckon the points
made are probably very significant in the context of RDF deployment -
there's a lot of potential in Open Data...

[[
Hopefully this first public re-implementation of del.icio.us will move this
debate forwards - it's been stuck in a loop for months.

The core value of del.icio.us is now purely the data set and the user-base. The
users own the data set in a distributed way.

Distributed storage / syndication / aggregation with some kind of
lisence/agreement about ownership of and contribution to the data set as a
whole would enable anyone to develop an interface with whatever features,
without dissipating the core value.

Then we can kill google.
]]

Cheers,