Re: equivalence relation

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:02:06 +0100, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> I am looking for a way to state that a relation is an equivalence
> relation [1].

Bear in mind I am not a logician, but I wonder if this might be
possible by making that relation a subproperty of owl:equivalentClass.
(I'd expect owl:sameAs to work, but the kittens are more likely to
purr when we don't treat relations as individuals).

I want to know this so that I can starting from a graph
> such as
>
> _blank ---relation---> <http://bblfish.net/>
>    |------owner-------> "Henry Story"

For convenience I've made a class called blank, giving (eq-facts.n3):

@prefix : <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
@prefix eq: <http://example.org/eq/> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .

    eq:blank a :Class .
    eq:owner a :DatatypeProperty .
    eq:relation a :ObjectProperty;
    rdfs:subPropertyOf :equivalentClass .

 [ a eq:blank;
   eq:owner "Henry Story";
   eq:relation <http://bblfish.net> ].

> deduce the graph
>
> <http://bblfish.net> ----owner----> "Henry Story"

(eq-ask.n3)

@prefix eq: <http://example.org/eq/> .

<http://bblfish.net> eq:owner "Henry Story" .

I'm not at all sure about this ("the road to heaven is paved with bad
extensions"), so ran:

Euler rdfs-facts.n3 rdfs-rules.n3  owl-facts.n3 owl-rules.n3
eq-facts.n3 -query eq-ask.n3

(http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/)

I've a feeling I got something wrong here too, it's still churning
away on the processor...

Cheers,
Danny.

--