Re: Is there an RSS feed for this list ?

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:08:28 -0500, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org> wrote:
> * Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> [2005-02-05 20:49+0100]
> >
> > There's:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/2002/09/Lists2RSS?ml=semantic-web
> >
> > (same pattern for all the public lists, btw)
> >
> > but doesn't contain post contents. Perhaps hints need a-dropping?
>
> I believe this is implimented in XSLT. Many of the posts in
> the archive are pretty lengthy, contain nested quoting etc.

Rigght, good point.

> And some have attachments linked from the main post.

You mean "<enclosure>"s ;-)

A link to the archive resource p'raps?

I'm not sure
> the raw contents would be a great thing to include within the RSS
> feed. And there could be server-load considerations too, thinking
> about it.

gzip & conditional GET supported..?

But yes, ultimately I would love to see better message
> summaries integrated into a lists.w3.org RSS service. I think
> it'd involve someone doing some coding though... Perhaps a
> rough algorithm to begin with might be: excerpt the first 10
> lines that don't begin with a '>' character?

Erk, I vaguely remember regexp-like things being a bit clunky in XSLT
(1.0 at least). But stripping the > quoted lines does sound a very
good plan.

> ps. I just asked my colleagues about possibility of adding
> RSS autodiscovery <link/> tags.

Great stuff.

Cheers,
Danny.