Re: How will the semantic web emerge

Joshua--

I'm not sure we're not talking about different applications (and perhaps
a stricter definition of "taxonomy" than I was using).  Certainly all
the machine-learning approaches you describe are in practical (and
increasing) use today, but it seems to me that "most approaches based on
static, manually maintained taxonomy, are dead" goes awfully far.  This
is particularly true given your mention of Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2,
all of which are based on the use of static, manually maintained
relational schemas.  While these are not "taxonomies" in the sense that
they define subsumption and other such relationships, they certainly
constitute contracts on the meaning of various pieces of data for the
purpose of interoperability (and "vocabularies" in the RDF sense).  I
don't expect the use of such contracts (or other pre-agreements on what
terms mean) to go away very soon, if at all.  However, that doesn't mean
they can't be used in conjunction with machine-learning.  It seems to
me, for example, that a useful "hybrid" approach would be to apply
machine-learning techniques to allow such schemas to evolve from their
initial definitions with use, hence becoming less static and manually
maintained.

--Frank