RE: How will the semantic web emerge

>Actually, I believe the usual argument for ontologies is that they are a
pre-requisite for meaningful communication between machines.

That's only one side of the coin. Ontologies are community contracts about
the representation of a part of the world. So they foster human2human,
human2machine, AND machine2machine interaction.
It is often heard that ontologies are just "machine-processable"
representations of a domain of discourse, but that is a way too narrow view,
since most ontology formalize only part of the community contract in
machine-processable, formal semantics, and capture another important share
in e.g. natural language descriptions or labels. Most ontologies that I know
do not actually *define* the meaning of its elements using ontology language
constructs, but only *restrict* the possible interpretations.

martin.hepp@deri.org, phone: +43 512 507 6465
http://www.heppnetz.de <http://www.heppnetz.de/>  / http://www.deri.org
<http://www.deri.org/>

  _____