Re: How will the semantic web emerge

Henry Story wrote:

> I think all of this is way too pie in the sky for the semantic web.  Yes
> the Semantic
> Web is about machines communicating with machines. But that does not
> mean you have to go the whole way towards machine learning and  advanced
> AI technologies.
>
> Oracle is a multi billion dollar company. It produces databases that
> are uses by other software to both store and extract data. There we
> have "machine to machine" communication. Everybody uses a database.  But
> most Mom and Pops don't access the data using SQL. They use a  machine
> to automate that process.

snip

Henry--

I tend to agree with your point here that a lot of what will go on the
SW can and will do so based on some straightfoward application/extension
of known technologies.  However, I also don't think *anything* is "too
pie in the sky for the semantic web".  It depends on what people are
trying to accomplish, and there are many more players, with their own
opinions, involved.  This is as much a chance to try out some new
approaches, based on the new environment and wider participation it
makes possible, as it is to apply existing technology.  As the subject
of this thread suggests, there's "emergence" going on.

--Frank