Re: How to integrate semantic web in a real application

On 12/1/05, Fabien Schwob <skink@evhr.net> wrote:

> The project is a small web site which make a list of video games players
> and allow the user to search them with various criteria. How can I do
> that ? I've tried to think about it but it's not very clear in my mind.
> Here is some of the ideas I've found :
>
> - Modeling the domain using OWL : what is a constructor, what is a game,
> what is a game type, etc. But what can I do with this file ? Making
> query : it's really like a DB, so what's the advantage of using OWL ?
>
> - Using FOAF to publish the link between the users? It's a little simple.
>
> So, have you some ideas to resolve my problem?

Well, for me, the allure of the semantic web has to do with the
sharing of information so that different applications and Web sites
can collaborate.

You are correct that if your site models its information using OWL,
but does nothing with it other than allowing users to do simple
queries on that data, there's not much advantage for you (or your
users) over using a regular database. But by modeling (and publishing)
the information using OWL, you open up the possibility of combining
that information with other information on the Semantic Web (i.e. from
other sites) that could enrich the search results that you present to
your site's users. Likewise, those other applications and Web sites
are potentially enhanced thanks to this new information source that
you'll be providing.