Re: SW/RDF Geo-related vocabularies? [Fwd: [Geowanking] geoRSS]

Dan, all,
   I've taken a long-running interest in this kind of thing, and it
recently came up in an email discussion, so I've got a chunk pre-
prepared!  These are ones I've found:

---
• Discussion of the topic:
<http://space.frot.org/ontology.html>
---
• Cyc:
"This document describes collections, predicates and other  Cyc
constants that are used to represent spatial objects and  relations.
See also documents for Groups, Quantities, Movement,  Paths &
Trajectories, Parts Of Objects, and Geography."

<http://www.cyc.com/cycdoc/vocab/spatial-vocab.html>
<http://opencyc.sourceforge.net/daml/cyc.daml#> and <http://
www.cyc.com/2004/06/04/cyc#>
---
• Geo, one of my favourites for its simplicity.
<http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#>
<http://www.schemaweb.info/schema/SchemaDetails.aspx?id=42>
---
• GeoURL defines a competing pair of lat/long properties, which is
annoying.
<http://geourl.org/news/2005/04/26/rssplus.html>
---
• Geometry.
"RDFGeom2d defines a set of RDF classes and properties for two-
dimensional geometry."

<http://www.mapbureau.com/rdfgeom2d1.0/index.html>
---
• Mindswap geo ontologies.
"We've created three ontologies for geoStuff which express a base set
of geographic features such as countries and cities, their spatial
descriptors such as points and multipolygons, and relationships
between these spatial descriptors, as described below."

<http://www.mindswap.org/2004/geo/geoOntologies.shtml>
<http://www.mindswap.org/2003/owl/geo/geoFeatures20040307.owl#>
<http://www.mindswap.org/2003/owl/geo/geoRelations20040307.owl#>

---
• Airports:
<http://www.daml.org/cgi-bin/airport?>
---
• Loc, which describes location roles etc.:
<http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~mkhedr/Ontologies/Location#>
---

Also of relevance are the whois: and bio: ontologies (specifically
bio:place), but I'll let others discuss those.

Finally, I have my own "places" vocabulary, in which I have (a) some
annotated places, using these vocabularies, and (b) a few vocabulary
terms:
• placename, to specifically name places
• pub, restaurant, etc. -- location roles for the Loc vocabulary.

This ontology lives at
<http://www.holygoat.co.uk/owl/places/>

I hope that lot is of some interest.

-R