Re: Entity Tags

From: Vidar Hokstad <vhokstad@uk.yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 14:31:16 +0100
To: John Flynn <jflynn@bbn.com>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org
John Flynn wrote:

> The following is a concept for a very simple (poor man's) tagging
> scheme for marking up entities (instances) imbedded within html web
> pages. The terms that are to be designated as instances of classes or
> properties of some external rdfs/owl ontology are marked up using an
> html-like tag <eN uri of ontology:class/property-name /eN>, where N is
> the number of words in the instance name.

[snip]

> Additional description and some examples of entity markup using the
> FOAF and Wine ontologies, and an example of the cataloged results, are
> at (1).
>

> (1) http://semanticsimulations.com/EML.htm

John,

I have at least two concerns with your scheme and examples:
  - Why the word number approach to refer to elements, when HTML and XML
has a well defined method of creating a relationship between data. Why
don't you just enclose the data you want to mark up in a tag? It's what
they're there for after all, and people _and_ tools already knows how to
deal with that.
  - It isn't well formed XML or HTML. Given the number of tools that
speak XML/HTML it would be significantly easier to work with this scheme
if it was. Have you looked at RDF/A for instance as an alternative? (See
http://www.formsplayer.com/notes/rdf-a.html). Why take this shortcut? It
would force people to use custom parsers to deal with it.

Regards,
Vidar Hokstad