Re: Managing our issues list (discharges action QT4CG-038-01)

Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> writes:

>  - When I learned the word 'actionable', it was apparently used only in
>   legal contexts
>
> Sorry about that. Merriam-Webster has
>
> 1
> : subject to or affording ground for an action or suit at law
> 2
> : capable of being acted on
>
> and I was using meaning (2).

I notice that lots of people do.  So I should learn to live with it.

>  - I assume that one reason to close an issue with no action is not that
>   it's undecidable, unresolvable, or non-actionable, but just that it
>   proposes something that we decide we do not wish to do.  So I guess
>   that "propose to close with no action" can be *either*
>
>     - a way of marking an issue as too broad (perhaps because it has
>       grown too many legs in its discussion) and not resolvable with a
>       single decision, *or*
>
>     - a way of deciding an issue ('we will do nothing').
>
> Yes. But there's a whole range of reasons for closing with no action
> including "this is a really bad idea", "this is a good idea but we've
> decided not to do it", "this is not actually an issue at all", "this
> is a problem but no-one has proposed a workable solution and we can
> live with it", "no one seems to be prepared to do the work to take
> this further".

Yes, agreed.  If it's common ground that closing with no action could be
done for a variety of reasons, then I'm happy.

Michael

--
C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC