Re: request as data source in transformation?

Lets try from another angle. The data source is needed as in XSLT to
retrieve the external data as in XProc.

*Should they share the same protocol of data source definition, data
retrieval and results validation?*

By allowing external data in XSLT and limiting it to simple GET we are
excluding the dynamic data, data hosted outside( i.e. not on file system ),
data which are managed by 3rd party vendors. If the XSLT is used in
client-side web application, the extended cases would not be "extended"
anymore, rather be a usual pattern.

*Do we want to support the use of XSLT with external data in client-side
applications?*

That is about a very basic simple 1-way transformation. Which does not
involve any pipeline branching, I.e. in scope of XSLT and NOT of XProc.

There is a whole row of applications I call microapplications: a
microfront-end which serves UI to a single microservice. There is nothing
except of XSLT is needed, lacking the proper definition of the data source
and response handling. XProc there is super-overkill.
-s