Re: improvements to fn:sort functions

From: Liam R. E. Quin <liam@fromoldbooks.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 14:57:37 -0500
To: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com>, public-xslt-40@w3.org
On Fri, 2021-01-15 at 08:24 +0000, Michael Kay wrote:
> The case that can't currently be handled easily is where you have
> multiple sort keys, some ascending and some descending.

The way at least some other programming languages handle that is with a
two-argument comparison function rather than a key-building function.
But i fear it would be very cofunfusing to have a mixture of the two
styles.

> But I wonder if it's really needed, since both XSLT and XQuery have
> this level of capability already. We don't have to put everything
> into XPath.

The simple case of ascending/descending on a single sort key seems
worth considering - I agree with Mukhul there. But i'm also ok with
rejecting it. Despite having spent several days, off and on, finding
ways to avoid having Saxon run out of memory when sorting & grouping a
sequence of a million elements :)

Liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/