Re: Static streamability, regarding bug 29984

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 10:02:49AM -0700, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

> > [Abel](conversely, I think our current rules are very good and I would dislike it very much if others would feel like we're throwing them out of the window, rendering them useless, that's certainly not my intent, if anything, it was my intent to make them *more* useful, to a wider audience, not a smaller one)
>
> [MSM]I think that ship has sailed.  The average power user of XSLT has essentially
> zero chance of reading and useing these rules if they take more than two pages
> or so to print out.

That's where the parallel with HTML stops:
In browsers, it's OK to process invalid HTML without telling the user
that errors happen and are corrected.
Here, we can't expect a user to go through the GS rules himself and check
his stylesheet without a specific tool. A "GS validator" seems unlikely
to be produced, if implementors can't make it in their processors.

So if it's not possible to implement 3a, then we're back to either
option 3b, or just 1.

I'd be OK with 3a+slight amendment like what Abel proposed originally in
bug 29984, or similar further amendments provided that a stylesheet writer
 can "reasonably" understand them. [yes, I'm aware that "reasonably" might
be a ratholing-powered term here]

--
Carine Bournez /// W3C Europe