Re: Static streamability, regarding bug 29984

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:06 AM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
>

>> Mike Kay seems to advocate for a much more radical change, that is closer
>> to dropping GS entirely
>

> Absolutely not. I think it is extremely useful to define a set of constructs that is guaranteed streamable in every (streaming) processor, even if there is no requirement for every processor to report whether a particular construct is within that subset or not.
>
> It's very analogous to our rules on limits. We require processors to handle decimals with 16 digits, but we don't require them to report when a stylesheet is using decimals with more than 16 digits, and is thus straying outside the realm of guaranteed interoperability.

I agree that the situations are analogous.   The difference seems to
me to be that it’s not hard for me as a user to count the number of
digits required for a value and see whether it’s greater than or less
than sixteen, without assistance from software.  I do not believe
the definition of guaranteed-streamable constructs is simple enough
to apply reliably by hand.

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC
cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com