Re: Action A-659-05 Completed

On Wed, 2016-11-09 at 23:18 +0100, Benito van der Zander wrote:

[...]
> > * Support for UCA Collations. We chose to make support for UCA
> > collations mandatory in the interests of interoperability and I18N
> > support, but implementation is technically challenging, and
> > typically
> > depends on third party libraries. We could make the feature
> > optional,
> > but we don't think this would be in the interests of the user
> > community; rather we would prefer to accept that implementation of
> > these features may lag a little behind.
> >

> And this point is actually what has stopped me from implementing
> XQuery 3.1 so far.

A feature that prevents people from implementing a spec is a serious
problem.

What can we do to change this? I note things like pyuca and pyICU and
even zope.ucol all for Python, so it seems there's some library
support. But I'm sure you found these too.

> > * Support for fn:transform() (dynamic invocation of XSLT from
> > XQuery).
> > There is strong evidence that users require this feature, but it
> > is
> > difficult to ensure 100% interoperability of implementations
> > because
> > in many cases it will depend on integrating a third-party product.
> > Tests where the transformation requires XSLT 3.0 are particularly
> > challenging because the standard is so new. We think we have done
> > the
> > right thing by including this feature although it will probably
> > remain
> > true that different vendors will offer different subsets of the
> > capability.
> >

> or this.

Right - you could use libxml2 (and have XSLT 1 support only), but
support for fn:transform necessarily has to be optional in practice.

Liam