RE: ACTION 614-12: Smart Quotes

On 2015-09-13 18:43, Abel Braaksma wrote:
> FWIW, I like the chevron approach, as it removes a lot of clutter
> that'd otherwise cloud the reader (I find the ~~~{..}~~~ utterly
> unreadable).

On the other hand it's useful to make the start and end of these blocks
very visible, because what's inside them has different syntax rules, and
in practice might be several pages long.

[...]

> I have one other concern: indentation. I believe in Perl that the
> first indent size is stripped from every line, to allow easier text
> formatting without having to resort to align to the first column,
> which can break the indentation flow of program code.

The perl here-doc operator is very flexible but no, it's the Unix shell
(and bash) that supports <<-EOF .... EOF to remove all leading tab
characters (but not spaces). Let's not do that. Use replace() to get rid
of leading whitespace on each line if you need to. The same issue exists
in XSLT with text in templates but not in xsl:text elements.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C
XML Activity Lead;