Re: Making editors' drafts public

While we’re about it, is there anything we can do to reduce the problem of CVS conflicts on the generated HTML?

What typically happens to me as that I do a build, try to commit, and get a commit failure because someone else has done a build in the meantime and so my HTML files are not “up to date”. I then typically revert the HTML and do a new build - all very time-consuming. CVS doesn’t know that they are generated files and therefore there is no need for them to be up to date. Perhaps the build scripts should do an automatic CVS update on the html directory at the start?

Normally I would say that automatically-generated files shouldn’t be held under a version control system. But then we need a different way of uploading them. Perhaps this is our opportunity.

One other point: it would be nice if the build scripts could automate getting the right date on documents. It’s very confusing when editors’ drafts carry a date that’s very different from the date of the last edit.

Michael Kay
Saxonica