Re: How to deal with null references?

Isn't this another instance of the more general effect that one shouldn't trust anything -- except for what one gets out of, e.g., evaluating a particular xpath?

The real problem in the scenario you describe seems to be that neither side verifies that the xpath is what it's believed to be.
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>  (@roessler)