Re: Prefix rewriting considerations

Don't you get such qname problems as well with rewriting prefixes to
"ns$i" or to base64(hash(ns-uri))? I mean, this is about
canonicalization, hence direct input to digest computation. If you'd do
a prefix rewrite in *any* way, such references to "xsd:string" will be
broken in the c14n'ed XML.

Regarding attributes: you'll only need prefixes if an attribute is from
a different namespace than its element (rare case). Then you can define
an arbitrary prefix (e.g. using the "ns$i" approach) at that element,
which thus is only relevant for that single attribute(s) at this
particular element. Advantage is that you don't have to deal with issues
of identical prefixes mapping to different namespace uris.

best regards

Meiko