Re: ACTION-523: review c14n 2.0 draft

Thanks Ed

+1 generally, comments inline

On Apr 11, 2010, at 1:27 PM, ext Ed Simon wrote:

> Here's my review of "Canonical XML Version 2.0 (W3C Working Draft 04
> March 2010)".
>
> 1. Should we use the term "textual representation" rather than
> "physical
> representation" when describing XML documents?
>
> 2. In 1.4.1, the abbreviations "C14N" and "C14N11" need to be
> clarified.
>
> 3. Re "ignoreDTD". We probably discussed this before, but would
> someone
> remind me why we are not covering XML Schema (and other schema
> languages) even though XML Schema is used to define Canonical XML
> Version 2.0.

Perhaps we should rename this parameter to "noDocumentPreProcessing"
to indicate no default attribute processing, no attribute
normalization and no processing of entities, in a definition that is
not DTD specific.

> 4. The document talks about XML "parser(s)" but I believe XML
> processor
> is the preferred term in W3C documentation.
>
> 5. In the last paragraph of 2.3, "xml" needs to be "XML" and
> capitalization of "Attribute nodes" and "Namespace Nodes" needs to be
> consistent. (I would think that no capitalization (e.g. "attribute
> nodes" and "namespace nodes" would be correct.)
>
> 6. The first use of "DOM" needs to include a definition.
>
> 7. In section 2.5, explain for "prefixRewrite="digest"" that the value
> of using this option is that namespace prefixes will be identical
> across
> documents and contexts whereas the "sequential" option may result in
> different namespace prefixes in different contexts.

why is this valuable, if the output of canonicalization in signature
is fed into the digesting operation?

I believe we may have decided against using the canonicalized form as
a interchange format - so I think we need to be clear of the
requirements here.