Re: Streaming XPath - additional material from our research background

Hi Pratik,

see inline below...

pratik.datta@oracle.com schrieb:
> Meiko,
>
> About using backward axes, I am in complete agreement with you. The
> Barton subset is not very useful, they go to great lengths to solve
> esoteric backward axes without solving the common problems.
>
> I like FastXPath's approach of fixing the vertical position. But I
> think it is better not to fix the horizontal position - Suppose you
> are signing only /Shipping[1], what if attacker adds one more shipping
> element which was not in the original message? This might result in
> application thinking that the item should be shipped to two places.
> Whereas if you has signed /Shipping, the signature would break if the
> attacker adds a new Shipping element.
> In this guidance document
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-bestpractices/#sign-what-matters) we are
> suggesting that application sign more of the document, rather than
> specific parts - this will make it easier to detect deletions and
> additions.
You are completely right, signing "some fields of an array only" is an
approach that is highly vulnerable to wrapping attacks. The attacker can
insert or modify the others, causing confusion in the application logic,
and paving the way for implementation-fault-based signature wrapping
attacks (see e.g. Gruschka and Lo Iacono's attack on the Amazon EC2
cloud, http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/ICWS.2009.70
: they doubled the soap:Body, one was processed by the signature, the
other by the application. None of both noticed the doubled presence.).
So it is always a better approach to sign a single element that is not
part of an array, along with its complete subtree, whereas having this
element be fixed best-possibly, and enforcing XML Schema validation for
all document parts outside of this.

> There are some XPaths that FastXPath subset does not allow, do you
> have a particular reason for that? e.g
>
>     * It seems to allow /foo[@attr = 'blah'] but not  /foo[@attr !=
>       'blah'].   (why does it only support '=' operator?)

In fact we designed FastXPath in the view that the XPath expression (and
transformation) must be crafted having a ready-to-be-signed XML document
in processing. Thus, every element that is to be signed (and thus must
be matched by the XPath reference) is known already. This is somewhat a
prerequisite of proper countering signature wrapping threats: ensure
that the signed message parts are fixed to those positions where they
have been located at signature application. This could usually be done
by definition of three parameters: element names, element positions, or
node attributes (or combinations of these). At best all of these are
fixed. Changing one would then break the signature. However, SOAP allows
to have additional headers inserted later-on, so element positions (e.g.
of signed SOAP headers) may change, thus may not be fixed by the XPath.

Similarly, if the application logic evaluates by element positions only,
ignoring their names (known bug for some Axis configurations), having
fixed the names would again cause a vulnerability:
XPath /soap:Envelope/soap:Body[1] in the signature would enable the
attacker to build the document
<soap:Envelope>
  <soap:Header/>
  <attack:Body>
    <evilStuff/>
  </attackBody>
  <soap:Body>
    <originallySignedContent/>
  </soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>
This way, signature remains valid (takes first soap:Body), but
application takes second child of Envelope (assuming it to be Body, but
not checking the names) for processing. Thus, fixing names only in some
cases is also vulnerable. Similar patterns apply if the application
logic identifies elements by certain attributes (e.g. ID) only, ignoring
both names and positions. Thus, as you can see, the XPath always MUST be
crafted according to the specific document, and taking into
consideration the specific processing approaches taken by the
application logics at ALL processing instances in the actual scenario.

Coming back to the '!=' operator, in a setting as discussed above, this
operator simply is not necessary. Attribute value comparison, however,
is necessary, thus '=' is required. I nevertheless have to admit I never
thought about that in this depth, maybe we wouldn't cause high
vulnerabilities with allowing '!=' or some of the other functions here.

>     * Why the 'and' operator, but not the 'or' operator ?

See above. Required for fixing a set of attributes (in the very unlikely
case of having an application logic that identifies elements to be
processed by the use of more than one attribute's presence. Maybe more
likely for a scenario having 2 separate application logics, relying on 2
different attributes within the same document. Can't imagine an example
by now, maybe it's an academic problem only.)

>     * Why not multiple predicate expression in each step. I.e. why
>       not  /foo[@attr = 'blah'][@attr2 = 'blah]

See above, also reconsiderable. It's always the trade-off between
security (here wrapping-resistance) and flexibility. Sorry for we as
security researchers are biased to always favor the former above the
latter ;)

> Also I don't understand why position fixing is impacting performance
> i.e. why is /Envelope[1]/Header[1]/Shipping[1]/Departure[1]   faster
> than /Envelope/Header/Shipping/Departure?     If the XML has only one
> of these things, shouldn't they take the same time to execute?
I actually am not sure for this one. I wasn't the one doing the
implementation myself. I think it might in fact be an unclarity of the
FastXPath specification in the paper: the position indicators can be
interpreted differently. /Body[1] can either refer to the first child
element named Body (maybe being the 4th child element in total, but the
others were Header elements, not Bodies). This is how the XPath
specification defines it. However, in the FastXPath scenario, it would
be more resonable to fix the total position, regardless of the previous
element's names. In that case, Body[1] refers to the first child element
iff it is named Body, and points to nothing if the first child is named
differently (regardless of the existence of another Body). I assume my
colleague chose the latter definition (which was what we internally
always discussed), and in that case, the performance gain results from
the fact that you can skip a lot of name tests (=string comparisons) in
the evaluation for the sake of a simple counter increment.

However, thanks for raising this issue, I will negotiate with the others.

best regards

Meiko