Re: proposed editor's note on mandatory to implement algorithms (ACTION-214)

On 18 Feb 2009, at 00:37, Frederick Hirsch wrote:

> I suggest the following change to your proposed editors note:
>
> (a) Change "Positions of Working Group members include:" to
> "Positions of some Working Group members against the currently
> expressed mandatory algorithms include:"

Fine with me; however, in that case, (2) would move into a separate
section "in favor".

> (b) For #2 suggest changing
> "both for hash and public-key algorithms." to "both for hash and
> public-key algorithms, in the event one is proven insecure, to
> enable a quick change to an alternative."
>
> (c) in #2 Remove ", which is, e.g., not the case for RSA."
>
> (d) change #3 to:
>
> 3. There should be recommended algorithms, but no mandatory to
> implement algorithms.  The rationale is that this gives greater
> flexibility to deployments.

works for me; I'd like to hear Ken's take.

> (Other WG members argued against this since it could harm
> interoperability not having mandatory algorithms.)

We're not descending into the back-and-forth about the other
arguments, either, so I'd rather leave this out.  (In particular since
I suspect that the counter-argument -- and the counter-counter-
argument -- are well understood by much of the audience.)