Re: XML Signature Properties - ready?

Some comments on
Section 3.2 Compliance

"Use of any or all of these Signature Properties in an XML Signature is
optional and nothing precludes the use of additional properties defined
elsewhere.

[Definition: A Common Signature Property is a property defined in this
specification and identified by the namespace defined in this document.]
When such Common Signature Properties are used the format and processing
rules associated with those properties, as defined in this document,
MUST apply."

1. s/optional/OPTIONAL

2. I'm uncomfortable with the last sentence. This implies that a
validator (or decryptor) MUST process the property according to the
rules if it is included in a Signature. But what if a validator doesn't
support or recognize the property? Should it ignore it? But what if the
property must be processed because validation really depends on it which
seems to be the case with most of these? I am concerned that since the
processing of most of these properties affect validation that what is
really needed are changes to the signature validation algorithm which
probably isn't appropriate until 2.0.

--Sean