RE: Additional edits to XML Signature 1.1

For

> 2. HMACOutputLength warning
>
> We added in section 4.4.2
>
> [[Signatures must be deemed invalid if the truncation length is below
> half the underlying hash algorithm's output length, or 80 bits,
> whichever of these two values is greater.]]
>
> it seems it is invalid if (a) truncation length < half output length
> and/or (b) < 80 bits.
>
> Can we remove the phrase ", whichever of these two values is greater."
>
> If not, what does it add beyond conditions (a) and (b)?

I guess an alternative could be:

"Signatures must ("MUST"?) be deemed invalid when the truncation length is less than the greater of half the underlying hash algorithm's output length or 80 bits."

But that still seems a bit convoluted. Why not just

"Signatures must ("MUST"?) be deemed invalid when the truncation length is less than half the underlying hash algorithm's output length.

(Assuming the use of hash algorithms with output length <160 bits will go away)

-- Magnus

-- Magnus