Re: Proposal to re-open 4.3.3.1 (Re: ACTION-97 - Raise [] issue on public list [Fwd: RFC 2396 + RFC 2732 vs. RFC 3986 (XMLDSIG section 4.3.3.1)])

On 2007-10-16 17:12:55 +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> If this interpretation of things is correct, I propose that we
> replace the first paragraph of 4.3.3.1 (including the enumerated
> list) by the following:
>
> 	The URI attribute identifies a data object using a URI
> 	Reference [URI].  The mapping from this attribute's value to
> 	a URI reference MUST be performed as specified in part 2,
> 	section 3.2.7 of [XMLSCHEMA].

From today's call, there seemed to be agreement on this general
direction, with some additional text; this version is slightly more
wordy than what I typed into IRC:

	Note: This implies that the value of the URI attribute does
	not need to conform to the grammar given in [URI] for a URI
	reference.  However, some existing implementations are known
	to verify the value of the URI attribute against the grammar
	in [URI]. It is therefore safest to perform any necessary
	escaping while generating the URI attribute.

> Further, I propose striking the following sentence:

>  	XML signature applications MUST be able to parse URI syntax.

... for the same reason as suggested in the original message.

--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>