The Web as an Application

From: Rushforth, Peter <Peter.Rushforth@NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:15:49 +0000
To: "public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org" <public-xmlhypermedia@w3.org>
Hi Folks,

It's  been  quiet for a while here, but I'm still enthusiastic about the concept of XML hypermedia.

In discussing the topic off list with a browser developer, he mentioned that the substantive comment received
from the w3c on the notion of XML hypermedia is that XML is a syntax, not a language.

Fair enough, if not 100% true: some non-syntactic concepts exist, such as xml:lang et al.

Another aspect of this problem is that XML in general is intended to be a facility which _application designers_
develop vocabularies which are _application_ specific.  Given that this is true, it is obvious that
XML should stay as far from application specific constructs as it can.

XML did not exist when the Web was invented, it came later, developed by (mostly) different people.
It seems clear to me that if the Web is an application, that a simple set of standard constructs,
for anything, not only links, is essential.  Hence the utility of something like xml:lang etc.

What I'd like to do is elaborate on the idea of The Web, from the POV of it being a _single_ application.

I created a wiki page here: http://www.w3.org/community/xmlhypermedia/wiki/The_Web_As_An_Application

Maybe we could discuss here, and put some of the main ideas / links on there?

Thanks, and cheers,
Peter