RE: document node attributes

Take application/xml for example.

Among many other things, it can contain an XML declaration:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

The declaration is essentially a string conforming to a specification.
It may or may not be included in an instance document.  But it is
implicit in the media type definition, I believe.

The registration procedure for media types has been recently updated,
here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838

I think part of the goal of media types is to be describable i.e. not
open ended, not a recipe.

So application/xml refers to the XML specification and a few other
things that define what XML is.  Stuff that is application/something+xml
add semantics on top of application/xml.

Peter