RE: Hypermedia - Why

Did they not want the colon, or the namespaces?  Because as I recently
learned, colons do not imply namespaces, and xml: is usable by
non-namespace aware xml processors.

> The designers of any other language are likely to do
> likewise. I suspect that I could predict with some accuracy
> that if xml:href were standardised MathML for example
> wouldn't use it as it has several different uses of URI
> distinguished by attribute name.
> MathML uses
>
> href=""
> altimg=""
> cdgroup=""
> src=""
> definitionURL=""
>
> These all have a defined meaning in _MathML_ and nothing
> would be gained (and those meanings would be lost) if one or
> more of them were changed to use xml:href.

In the spec I was reading, definitionURL says that it is a URI to a CD.
What language is the dictionary available in?  What format?

I can see that in application/mathml+xml there is an definition
of their meaning.  But what about a composite
document which encloses some mathml and some mapml, say.  Should I use
@href, @src from the MathML definition?  Or use xlink:href?  OK, there is
no xlink:src.

> I know something about MathML which is why I use it as an
> example, but I don't see why editors of other languages would
> feel any different about the URI attributes in languages that
> they maintain.

I agree.  I would not force these things on anybody, but they should
be there if you need them.  And if they are there _in the future_, it may
be that language designers (and in XML, isn't that just about everybody)
may decide to use them.

> So I would say that the jury is still out and as yet no
> example has been shown where an application could use the
> proposed attributes.

Why is it I feel my feet only touching by their toes?

Peter