Re: XHTML modularization and substitution groups (tag issue XMLVersioning-41, TagSoupIntegration-54, RDFinXHTML-35)

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 18:02 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
> Hello public-xml-versioning,
>
> Dan wrote:
> > I'm interested in a form of extensibility where a markup
> > language designer can make a new my:box element and
> > say "it's an HTML block element"; then, when a
> > document containing a my:block element is checked
> > for syntactic happiness, the checking tool uses
> > normal HTML schemas until it gets to my:box; then
> > it looks up my:box in the web, finds that it's
> > declared to be an HTML block, and find than
> > an HTML block is allowed here, and carries on happily.
>
> Thats interesting, but it seems to assume a top-down model where
> extensions are tightly bound to their expected environment. What if I
> want to use my:box inside Timed Text, or inside SVG?

Yes, I'm influenced by the "XML functions" idea that Tim
has advocated in the context of a related issue that I
neglected to mention...
  http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html?type=1#xmlFunctions-34
  -> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/XML

It's largely top-down, i.e. compositional. See
also "4. Elaboration defined: top-down treewalk, signals and namespaces"
in a recent draft by Henry Thompson.
  http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/elabInfoset.html

I expect that the 'HTML block' concept (substitution group?) could
be shared with Timed Text and SVG, though I haven't worked out any
of the details.

[...]
> I can point to some worked examples using RNG (and the same in DTD)
>
> Here
> http://www.rddl.org/xhtml-rddl.rng
> is the schema for RDDL. It could hardly be simpler.

If you have time to elaborate some other piece of the puzzle,
I'd appreciate it.

I'd like to see how that schema is used with other schemas in
a document.

something analagous to one of these two...
http://www.w3.org/XML/2000/04schema-hacking/xhtml-mathml-ex.html
http://www.w3.org/XML/2000/04schema-hacking/comment-test.html

> > I'm also interested in whether CDF/WICD can/should use substitution
> > groups.
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/WICD/
>
> They decided to use NVDL and RelaxNG instead.

Anybody have pointers to more details about that? I don't
see "NVDL" in that particular tech report.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E