Re: Lack of 'fatal error' tests for invalid encodings

Leif Halvard Silli wrote [2 years ago]:

> Per a discussion with John Cowan,[1][2] it seems reaonsable to
> conclude,
>
> 	 FIRSTLY, that the XML test suite is lacking many relevant
>               encoding tests
> 	SECONDLY, that there is shortage of tests where there is
>               external encoding information (read: HTTP).
>      THIRDLY, as a result, many testable 'fatal error' situations
>               described in XML 1.0 do not have tests.
>
> Practical Questions:
>
>  1) Dp I seend the test cases that I see needed directly to this list?

Sure, but see below.

>  2) Can we create some specific HTTP tests, online?

Maybe, but not until 3023bis [1] is settled.

> * Parsers must omit a 'fatal error' if the BOM disagree with the
>   XML encoding declaration.
>
>   But for a UTF-8 encoded file with the BOM but which has been
>   labeled with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-5"?>, RXP
>   simply ignores the BOM and reports the file to be encoded as
>   ISO-8859-5.

I've added a test for this, and a couple for similar examples wrt
UTF-16.

They'll be in the new release appearing shortly.

Thanks for your input (and patience :-),

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk